You've just signed up for Variance. Welcome! When you first sign in Variance will have that new app smell, take it in.
To start making it your own, you'll need to begin by sending us data. To do that you'll need to connect Segment or Rudderstack. If you don't have the permissions to do that, start by inviting someone on your team who does and send them this page.
Great, now let's get started for real.
- Go to the Integrations page (under your company name in the top nav) and connect Segment or Rudderstack.
- Go click around your own application to make sure the Segment integration is sending data. Once you know it's sending data, spend a few minutes generating the types of events you know you want to track. This will allow you to find them immediately in Variance instead of waiting for a user to generate them. You should see Contacts, Accounts, and Event Types all start to flow through.
- Once you see data coming in is a good time to hook up Slack (also on the Integrations page).
- A good next step is to go in and create some Event Type Tags for your high-value events and other sets of events you know you'll want to be tracking. These will be used by your team to filter down streams.
- From there you can start following Contacts, Accounts, and Event Types and building some Streams of your own. Make sure you hook the Streams up to Slack so they flow through. A good stream to get started with is following trial users who visit your pricing page (you might need a property follow for this) or users who add a new integration.
- Now that things are working, connect Zapier and add one of our templates. (Zapier is especially good for pushing the account owner in from your CRM.)
- We suggest setting up some Team Streams as well. These are Streams that are shared with everyone and will be in all users' sidebar. The best kinds of Team Streams to start with are groups of events (key conversion events, key growth events, etc.). If you are looking for more ideas, we have a good list on our Streams page.
- Finally, invite your Team so they can use Variance themselves. (Alternatively, you can wait 24 hours for your events to more fully stream in before inviting your Team. Remember: the Accounts, Contacts, and Event Types in our system will only be the ones that have occurred since you connected unless you use the replay functionality in Segment.)
As always, get in touch if you want us to help or walk you through any of this.